How Often Should I Clean My Refrigerator? And How to Do it!
How long has it been since you cleaned your fridge? You can wait several months between deep-cleanings if you take a few simple steps to maintain a passable fridge for that long. Here’s how to clean the refrigerator and how often you should do it.
How Often Should I Clean My Fridge?
Never let your refrigerator reach a dismal state! Just stick to our recommended fridge cleaning schedule to keep your refrigerator looking good and smelling fresh.
Make it a habit to rinse off jam jars, salsa containers, ketchup bottles, and other items that tend to get grimy on the outside. This, in turn, helps keep your refrigerator clean. Also, wipe up spills right when they happen to prevent sticky spots from forming.
Once a Week
Scan the contents of the fridge and remove any old food on the verge of rotting. Is the milk a few days past its date? Are expired yogurt containers hiding in the back? Toss them before they start stinking up your fridge.
Every 2 Months
Leaving an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator is an effective, affordable method for absorbing odors. Write the date on the box, and stick it in an inconspicuous corner. Remember to check the date periodically—the odor-absorbing capabilities of baking soda diminish after about two months, so that’s how often you should replace it.
Every 3 to 4 Months
When the time comes to deep-clean the refrigerator, follow these steps to ensure you don’t miss anything important:
- Empty the fridge of all its contents and purge anything old or that you’ll never use.
- Take the crisper and meat drawers out.
- Wipe down the shelves and interior walls of the fridge with a cloth dipped in warm soapy water.
- Wash the drawers in the sink with warm water and dish soap.
- Wipe everything down with a clean, damp rag to remove any lingering soap residue.
- Dry all washed surfaces with a clean cloth and put everything back inside the fridge.
- Remember to set a freshly opened box of baking soda on one of the shelves to keep those smells at bay!
- Close the door, and wipe down the outside of the refrigerator with a soapy cloth. If you have a stainless steel appliance, remove fingerprints and grime with store-bought stainless steel spray.
Every 6 Months
Break out the vacuum cleaner and brush attachment twice a year to clean dust and hair from the grille at the bottom of the fridge. This improves airflow to the condenser to boost refrigerator efficiency by about 3 to 5 percent.
Request Household Cleaning Services from Sydon
No one likes cleaning out the fridge, but it’s an important part of keeping your kitchen hygienic. It also gives you a chance to look for common refrigerator issues so you can call us to fix your fridge before your food rots or energy bills go through the roof.
If you need help with cleaning your appliances, cupboards, countertops, floors, or any other parts of your kitchen, turn to the licensed, experienced housekeepers at Sydon. We have years of experience helping busy homeowners like you keep their houses tidy. Contact us via our contact page or simply call us at (254) 740-362-323 to request a free in-home or office estimate for house cleaning services near you.
Read about FAQ